Common Sense Health Information
At Whitworth Animal Clinic, Our goal is to educate pet owners with essential knowledge about pet health concerns and pet care. In addition to our own website, we would like to share the following entertaining and educational websites concerning pet wellness. The links are grouped into several categories to provide quick access to information you find most important.
Local and Regional
- Animal Emergency Clinic of North Alabama – 256-533-7600
- National Animal Poison Control Center – 217-333-3611
- Regional Poison Control – 404-542-6751
Lost Pets and Adoption
Animal Services & Pet Licenses:
- City: 256-883-3783
- County: 256-532-1651
- Madison City: 256-772-5694
Veterinary Pet Insurance
- Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine
- University of Tennessee College of Veterinary Medicine
- Mississippi State University College of Veterinary Medicine
General Pet Sites
- PetMD is a Vet Authored, Vet Approved site which provides information on a wide range of topics on dogs, cats and horses.
- Are you looking to add a pet to your family? Or are you trying to find a lost pet? Try PetFinder.com.
- The Humane Society of the United States promotes the protection of all animals. Here you will find many wonderful animal-related stories and lots of valuable information on pet adoption, animal welfare issues, and pet adoption.
- The ASPCA works to promote kind treatment principles, the prevention of cruelty, and to alleviate fear, pain, and suffering in animals.
- To learn about animal poison-related emergencies visit the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center website.
- Pet Partners is dedicated to improving lives through human-animal interactions (formerly called Delta Society)
- A Source of Information for You and Your Pet.
- The SPCA helps you find solutions to your Pet’s Behavior Problems.
- Get help with the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of parasite infections.
- The American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) is the only organization that accredits small animal hospitals. AAHA-accredited hospitals adhere to the highest quality standards, which helps give you the best care for your pet.
- HealthyPet.com is offered by The American Animal Hospital Association AAHA offering a wealth of information and many fun activities related to pet care.
- Mold Poisoning can happen to your pet: http://moldresolve.org/how-to-protect-your-dog-from-mold/. Protect your pet.
Dog Related Sites
- Learn about different dog breeds from The American Kennel Club’s list of dog breeds from A to Z.
- For information on Heartworm Disease in Dogs.
- Purina offers you Basic Dog Care.
- A website devoted to looking out for older dogs, The Senior Dogs Project.
- Information, Love, and Support for Blind Dogs.
Cat Related Sites
- Cat care tips from Purina
- For information on cat shows, cat breeds, cat care, as well as a showcase of top winning cats try The Cat Fancier’s Association’s website.
- Cornell University Veterinary School’s Feline Health Center website contains information on medical topics relating to cat health care.
- For information related to enriching the lives of indoor cats check out Ohio State University’s Indoor Cat Initiative.
- To learn about thyroid issues Feline Hyperthyroidism.
- If your cat has diabetes The Internet Guide to Feline Diabetes.
- Cats can get Heartworm, too. Learn more at KnowHeartWorms.org or The Feline Heartworm Society.
Pet Loss Information
- For pet loss support and resources in Madison, Alabama and the surrounding areas, Land of PureGold Foundation.
- A Grief Support Hotline is offered at The University of Illinois.
- The Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement (APLB) Website.
- The University of Florida offers articles on coping with pet loss and a Grief Support Hotline.
- Pet Loss Support is offered through The American Veterinary Medical Association website.
- A Pet Loss Support Hotline is offered through Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine.
- A Grief Support Hotline and articles regarding the loss of a pet is offered through Tufts University.
Traveling With Your Pet
- The US Department of Agriculture offers basic information on domestic and international travel of pets.
- The Feline Advisory Bureau offers you information on Traveling with your cat.
- Before you plan your trip visit DogFriendly.
Need more information? If you have any other questions please call us at 256-830-1503. We love to hear from our customers and we are happy to help however we can.