Would you like to find out some fun facts about your pet the read on!
The most common pets are cats and dogs. Whitworth Animal Clinic is the place to go for these pet favorites. While not as common, there are other pets many share their home with. Here are some fun facts about your pet that you probably didn’t know!
Feline Fun Facts
• There are 10 million more cats owned in America than dogs.
• A cat can jump up to 7 times its own height.
• There are “cat-friendly” practices that focus on making trips to the veterinarian less stressful for your cat.
• Cats CAN be trained.
• Cats have 5 toes on each front paw, and 4 on each back paw.
Fun Facts About Your Pet Guinea Pig
• Guinea pigs will eat all day and night.
• They do not bite in defense but will bite if they think your hand is food.
• A guinea pig is typically pregnant for 70 days.
• Guinea pigs need their nails cut frequently to stop them from growing into their feet.
• A guinea pig typically lives for 8 years, and the world record for the longest living guinea pig is 15 years.
Cool Canine Facts
- The “smell” center of a dog’s brain is 40 times larger times larger than yours.
- Dogs do dream just like humans!
- Dogs have a special membrane, called the tapetum lucidum, which allows them to see in the dark.
- When dogs kick after going to the bathroom, they are using the scent glands on their paws to mark their territory
- Dogs curl up in a ball when they sleep because of an instinct to keep themselves warm and protect their abdomen and vital organs from predators.
- Dogs hear best at 8000 Hertz, while humans hear best at 2,000 Hertz. This means that dogs hear a lot higher pitched noises.
Feathered Friend Fun Facts
• Birds must eat at least half their own weight in food each day to survive.
• Americans own 60 million pet birds.
• Birds have hollow bones that help them fly.
• Some birds are intelligent enough to create and use tools.
• Hummingbirds are the only birds that can fly backwards.
• Hummingbirds eat around every 10 minutes, eating twice their body weight in nectar each day.
Happy Hamster Facts
• Many hamsters are blind in one eye, and all of them are color blind.
• Hamsters are nocturnal, meaning that they are more active at night and sleep during the day.
• Hamsters have a predisposition to burrow.
• Hamsters are omnivores which means they like to eat meat as well as vegetables; however, their diet usually consists of dried food, nuts, seeds, vegetables, and berries.
• There are 4 basic types of hamsters: Syrian, Russian Dwarf, Chinese, and Roborovski.
Goofy Goldfish Facts
• A goldfish can live up to 40 years.
• Goldfish do not have stomachs.
• Goldfish can recognize faces. They can tell different faces apart from each other!
• Goldfish cannot close their eyes.
• Many people think that goldfish have a memory span of only a few seconds; however, they actually have a memory span of at least 3 months.
Did You Know?
There are more people who own dogs in southern and lower mid-western states and more households who own cats in northeastern and northwestern states? Could weather have something to do with it? What do you think?
If you would like to learn more fun facts about pet dog visit https://www.rd.com/list/dog-facts-you-didnt-know/
If you would like to have excellent care for your dog or cat, call us at (256) 830-1503 today! Whitworth Animal Clinic serves Madison, Huntsville, and surrounding North Alabama areas.